Saturday, April 14, 2012

Glucose Test #1 & #2

Saturday, April 7th I took my first glucose test - drank the stuff in the morning (lemon-lime flavor aka flat Sprite) and went to get my blood drawn at Quest. No big deal but felt miserable after I came home that day and slept for a few hours.

Monday, April 9th they called to tell me my levels were abnormal (my doctor's office wants them 130 or below and I was at 145) so I had to go in for a second 3 hour test at Quest sometime soon. They also told me my iron was low so I needed to start taking an iron supplement. Went to Wal-Mart that night to get Iron supplement (bought a 2 pack because it's not like I'm not going to need them!) - pharmacist was this old man who was so sweet - when he asked what we were having and I told him a boy he goes "Yes!" He has 3 boys & 3 grandsons so he loves having boys around!

Thursday, April 12th I went in for my 3 hour test and they stuck me 4 times (once before I took the drink and 3 times after) - I didn't feel too well after I drank the orange drink but I told myself "Don't throw up or it voids the test." The lady at Quest was not as nice as the lady who drew my blood on the first day but by the end of it we were buds and she was hoping I passed the test...she thought I was a chicken because I kept asking for the butterfly needle because the other ones hurt more and finally I said "Look, I've been through 5 IVF's - it's not that I'm afraid of the needles - it's that I really don't like more than a butterfly needle going in my arm (even if it is faster!) because it hurts more during/after and I really don't want to pass out sitting here." She was stunned and just goes "Oh my gosh - 5 times? Is this your first? I can't believe you're bothered by this at all - wait until you have a baby, you really won't care about blood sticks!" But the last 2 draws she used a butterfly needle...geez lady, it's not my first rodeo! But I REALLY don't like having my blood drawn - period.

I called yesterday around 4 to the doctor's office just to check to see if they had my results and they called back within 2 minutes to tell me my levels were perfect and I didn't need any more follow-up - WOO. HOO. Relief went through my body...I was so happy!

As for the baby - he seemed more bothered by the first test than the second and kicked more yesterday than he had the entire week. He kicks at random times when I'm just sitting there, sometimes it's a change of music in the car that he seems to respond to (ie. he loves that Lee Brice song - "A Woman Like You") and if I talk to Richard on the phone he kicks most of the time. HOWEVER - when I have Richard put his hand on my stomach to feel him kick, he refuses...I made Richard sit there for at least 5 minutes last night while he was kicking like crazy 30 seconds before and he did nothing...Richard walked to the kitchen and by the time he made it there, my stomach was moving again....little stinker :) He amuses me already!

This hasn't been my best week as far as how I feel though - not sure if it's all the stress of having these tests done, but it really just feels different because my stomach is getting bigger and I don't feel hungry anymore and my back just hurts a bit more...I'm also not sleeping a ton right now because I just toss/turn through the night. I'm looking forward to relaxing today, because I've had to cancel a lot of plans this week (including a trip to the Vera outlet sale I was REALLY looking forward to) and I took Wed/Thursday off work. I have just been pooped - this little man takes it out of me!

And what would a week be without a few pictures? I didn't take many at all this week because I just haven't been in the mood:

This pretty much sums up how I've been feeling lately - she misses dad in this picture (just like her mama!)

Yet another example of how girl's clothes are cuter than boys (even where UK is concerned!) How cute are all those polka dots and bloomers with that girl's outfit? HA! 

While waiting for blood draw #4, we headed to Petsmart to check out glucosamine for Sally and I love looking at the fish - so fun to watch! :) 
Hopefully this next week will be better!

No comments: