Wednesday, February 15, 2012

{It's a...BOY!}

On Saturday, February 11th we had a gender reveal party for baby McFarland - we invited close family & friends who have really been there throughout our entire IVF process and who we wanted to share the news with all at one time. We also wanted to celebrate instead of sharing bad news (like we've done for years) so it was just a great culmination of a lot of hard work and patience! We did a pink/blue theme and it turned out great. Michelle helped me make the pretzels and chocolate shapes, Stephanie brought brownies, Corey made fruit/angel food cake kabobs and Amy made cookies - everything turned out perfect!

We had put on the invite "No gifts please" but we had a few gifts floating in throughout the party...Crystal made a diaper bouquet with fun stuff in the vase, Melanie, Rob & Abigail got baby McFarland a fireman bib, Stephanie brought an outfit and a ROCKSTAR sweatshirt which was fun because we call each other Rockstars from riding to work together & singing our hearts out for years, and Ryann & Keith brought a maternity shirt for me from Target that is very green & fun! I'm telling you - this baby (and his mama!) are spoiled and he's not even here yet!

The day turned out better than I had even planned - everyone seemed to have a good time & it was really fun (yet exhausting) to share the news with everyone at the same time - I spent Sunday just relaxing around the house and resting up...my body sometimes likes to push itself and then pay for it so we're still working on finding the balance in life! (I think that's going to be a constant struggle for me...but I AM working on it!) It just felt so wonderful to have so much love & support in one room - I hope everyone knows how much it means to Richard & me because we are where we are today because of all of our friends & family! THANK YOU!!

If you want to see the professional pics on Leah Robbins Photography blog click here. She got some amazing shots of everyone's reactions (I especially love open mouths as we say it's a boy!) and just some special moments between everyone at the party. It was great to have her there because usually I'm really concerned about taking photos / capturing moments but it was really nice to just enjoy the party and be in the moment.

Here are a few extra pictures (just because blog posts are more fun with photos!):

The fam before the party started - it was optional to wear shoes so the boys opted out :)

Crystal, me & Corey before the party started! Love these two!
How Richard & I found out it was a boy...
We went to the OBGYN (For Women in Clifton) at 10 AM on Wednesday, February 8th to our appointment and we were called back on time! The ultrasound tech asked if we wanted to find out the gender if it was possible so we said "yes". She started off by looking at a few things like it's head, measuring a few things and then all of a sudden she whispers "It's a boy..." and I said "Seriously?" and she goes "Yep, it's a boy - see, right there" (Richard said he had noticed it on the ultrasound before she said anything - sigh...boys will be boys!) and I was so excited! The ultrasound tech did a lot of other measurements including a 3D version of the heart chambers, showed us his head from different angles but for most of the time (if not all) he was staring straight at us so we didn't get a very good profile shot of him! I started tearing up only for a few seconds only because it was so wonderful to hear that everything was healthy with him and he was doing so well! We went back out to the waiting room to wait for the doctor but only had a few minutes...I asked Richard "Are you excited it's a boy?" and he goes "Yeah, it's just boys don't cuddle as much as girls. I think I just had it in my mind that it was going to be a girl." In all honesty, I wanted to wait until everyone else found out what it was but Richard really wanted to know at the appointment - I'm glad we did find out ahead of time so that we could get excited about it for everyone else / talk about it and start to dream of what life will be like with a little boy running around the house! (Richard was right on this one!) :) I'm just so glad it's happy & healthy that it was just icing on the cake that we now know the gender and can start planning the nursery.

Since the party & week 19...
I have done a lot of laying around / sleeping / not sleeping very well at night / trying to just get in a routine and feel 100%...pregnancy takes it out of you - and the thing is, when you get a burst of energy it's very short-lived so you can't get too excited!
The biggest questions now from people is "Did you register yet?" We did go and register at Babies R Us for a few things and it was a lot of fun - we just did it one day after work so I told Richard "I don't want to register for all the boring stuff (ie. outlet covers is something that sticks out that didn't seem like fun at the time!) - I just want to register for fun stuff" so we just clicked around at things we liked & that made us laugh.  We also clicked on some of the "groups" of items to save time (I don't have all the energy in the world so that was nice too!) The majority of our registering will probably happen at BuyBuy Baby (we'll hopefully get to that this month too) just because we loved so much stuff there! If you haven't been, there's only one in our area and that's in Deerfield - they accept the 20% off Bed Bath & Beyond coupons because they're in the same family of stores.  We will also register probably at Target.
We've started thinking about the nursery and what we want to do with it - Richard surprised me for Valentines Day and bought this ottoman at Value City that I just LOVE...it will go downstairs for now but we are thinking that Sally might be able to lay on it in the nursery since she can't have the full sized bed anymore (sad day for Richard & Sally!) - we're thinking baby animals right now would be cute...the room is green so we wouldn't have to paint and there's tons of stuff you can do with a baby's room with that. Richard asked about doing a fireman themed room but I think we'll save that for when he grows up a bit and can really enjoy the red/fireman stuff all over his room!

That's about all for now - exciting time in our lives & we're just enjoying the possibilities ahead & can't wait for the next stage!

No comments: