Monday, March 14, 2011

After Surgery Post



Surgery went well on Friday - doctor took out my cyst (said it was just clear fluid which was good) and also removed a few adhesions (scar tissue type things) which should hopefully help with some of my abdominal problems I complain of from time to time.

The day of surgery I was pretty out of it, the car ride from Christ to home was longer than ever and mom & Richard was such troopers through it all. Richard had a long night the night before at work so he slept part of the time in the waiting room. Mom made sure he was listening for the pager to go off when I was ready to be seen again. When I got home I slept for a bit and then got up to mom, dad & Richard trying to get ahold of the doctor because the pain pill prescription wasn't written correctly. Once we got that squared away, dad went to CVS to wait for it and I just waited patiently for my drugs! :)

Some things to note about the picture above that I'd like to call out / share with you:
- Mom & Richard were awesome and at my side through the entire thing - one stepping in while the other was doing something else - such a strong support system!
- I bought a Superman shirt to wear for my surgery day the day before at Wal-Mart, it's super comfy and just made it a little more fun to go in!
- They gave us pictures of what my insides look like - they did it for the tube removal too but this time it was only a page and there isn't much fun on it (at least from what I can tell!)
- They made me wear these compression type sock things for 24 hours after my surgery to keep the blood from clotting until I was up and moving again (never seen it before but they said it's new)
- When I felt like I was going to throw up, they soaked this thing in peppermint oil and taped it to me - I had that on for a good 24 hours after my surgery too - Richard claimed our entire master bedroom smelled like peppermint but hey - at least I didn't throw up!
- I was a lot happier before they put my IV in and gave me drugs - ha!
- Emily brought down dinner & flowers while we were at the hospital so it was all waiting for us when we got home - that was so sweet of her!!

All in all, I'm glad to have the surgery behind me and very happy that I'm starting to feel better and not be in as much pain. It was painful to get up & down for the first few days so it feels good to feel a little more normal now. I'm still frustrated I'm going through this / it's hard sometimes to know everything I've been through to get to this point. I try to stay positive, remember that I'm doing this all to start a family with the man I love and that we will get through it stronger than ever - but I can't just help feeling down from time to time. It just wasn't supposed to be like this - never in my wildest nightmares did I think it would be such a struggle to have a baby...never. And sometimes that just makes me plain angry. It doesn't help to hear that there's some master plan - it doesn't help to hear that one day it will work out - it doesn't help to hear that things happen for a reason - because whatever the reason is that I've been through all of this sucks. No way around it - it's just been frustrating and sad.

I hope I can look back soon and say "This was all worth it - every last surgery, procedure, shot, bad day, teardrop..." but until that day, it's going to be hard sometimes...I know that...and I'll work through it.

No comments: